Start a new topic

editing css

I'd like to customize the css for my website some. I tried to go to /hp_wordpress/wp-admin/theme-editor.php, but it says "You do not have sufficient permissions to access this page." Is there a way I can get access to that or style.css? Thanks

I realize this comment thread is old but I just downloaded and installed jet pack and cannnot figure out where to edit the css for a given page. any help?

Sure, Tom.  I can't promise I'll have time time this week, but you can send me a link to the site and what you want to change to this email.

Maria you still think you could help with a little coding? 

Ok, update on this topic.  I have a support ticket in, so I'll keep letting you guys know what's going on.  I randomnly decided to log out of the website for another reason, and when I did, the page refreshed and THE CSS STARTED WORKING.  Upon further experimentation I realized I can only see the custom CSS when I'm not logged in to the site.  So, it's a process between logging in and out to make changes and then view them.

UPDATE: After talking with support I found out that this is a flaw that can only work with a work around.  Basically, they recommended having the site open in two browsers - one logged in and one not.  Custom CSS will not show while logged in and editing the site.  So, it's working...but...not the best solution.

No, I haven't yet.  No matter which css code I use, which works while using "Inspect Element" in Chrome, it will not populate to the site.

Did you figure out why it reverted? I am also trying to do some custom editing....

Yes, and I had it working for about 10 minutes and then it reverted back on it own.  Not sure why.  I'm pretty sure the styling is mostly coming from the SF template.  If you are just not sure what code to use in yours, you can send me a link and tell me what you're trying to do, and I can probably figure out the code for you.

Oops...not CSV but CSS :)
I have some styles that are most likely from Sharefaith, and others from a plug-in. So are you saying you had to figure which was applied, and adjust the CSV for that?

I have jet pack installed and I'm attempting to use this feature, but my changes don't seem to be taking effect.  I'm pretty familiar with CSS as I use it extensively on other Joomla based sites.  In Chrome, I used the "inspect element" tool to figure out the settings I wanted.  I copied these into the "Edit CSS" window, but no changes are populating on my site.

Any thoughts?

I am interested in doing this as well... I want a map, service times, maybe a twitter feed or email form as well. All simple enough to add but not in the footer section.....

No, never tried it

Hey Jason did you ever customize your site like you wanted to? 

I was going to try this, but I want to make sure I'm doing this right. I've installed JetPack, and have the CSS editor opened. Would I then copy the current CSS file into it, and then edit it? Also if I do that will it be replaced every time Sharefaith updates with a new update? I love the ease of use Sharefaith provides with the site layout, and ability to drag and drop content in, but there's just few things I wouldn't mind changing.

Hello Ben,

We intentionally limit how much can be changed with CSS since there are so many delicate theme settings that can be disrupted. The safest way to edit CSS would be within the Jetpack plugin. You can go to your website's advanced dashboard and then go to Plugins > Add New and search for Jetpack to install and activate it. Jetpack requires you to create a free WordPress.com account to use, but has many useful tools, including the ability to edit CSS.

Login or Signup to post a comment