Start a new topic
Answered

Anyone find a good calendar plugin for their website?

I am hunting for a good calendar plugin for our church's SF website. 

Ultimately we want to be able to have the displayed calendar sync'd to a calendar feed from Google or iCal so it's easy to manage on an administrative level. And we want to be able to customize the look - not just an embed like Google Calendars, those are ugly and bland. 

Any thoughts?

So far we've tried:

• All In One Calendar by Time.ly (incompatible)
  • Google Calendar Events (kind of ugly & not user friendly)
  • Ajax Calendar (clunky)
  • The Event Calendar (our current option which is compatible, but cannot receive an ical or ics feed for events so every event has to be created or edited through the admin page on WP, which is slightly inconvenient)

Best Answer

LaShaye (anyone else reading this stream), you don't actually have to use the Wordpress plugin. 

1) Go to: www.time.ly and create an account

2) Create your first calendar

3) Use the "Embed Calendar" feature on your new Time.ly page

4) Copy the HTML Code.

5) Go to your Sharefaith webpage

6) Select "Feature"

7) Select Paste HTML, and then save and you're done!

I'm a technical person, and The Events Calendar wasn't what I needed.

If you have more questions on it, let me know. Glad to help!

10 people have this question

Anyone else find anything that works with Sharefaith?  I use All-In-One from Time.ly on some other sites I manage, and love it.  Really bummed we can't use it with Sharefaith - the Google calendar option, quite frankly, cheapens the site.

Hello,

I would be glad to help. Does the Time.ly have an embed code that you can use? Also, I would recommend checking out Upto calendars. We have many members that use upto and are very pleased with it. 

We tried Upto we could not figure out how to have repeating events?

So we had ModernTribe's The Events Calendar, which is okay. Some of the features require premium memberships. All in all, it's a decent option with WP plugins that seem to be compatible with SF. 

UpTo doesn't support repeating events but looks really nice. No native WP plugins and requires an embed.

Our current is Time.ly's All-in-one calendar. Though the WP plugins conflict with SF, the embed code works. You may have to modify the CSS a little to get it to look right (or at leas the way it appears on the Timely site) because the fonts and colors follow your SF site's theme. We posted on the Time.ly support site and received a fairly quick response with the CSS code we needed to copy and paste into WordPress to make our calendar look the way we wanted. Here's how it's looking so far using the Poster Board view (and we're going to be making some tweaks this week to improve the appearance).

1 person likes this

Charlie, 

I'm wondering if Upto Calendar is still the calendar of choice for Sharefaith users?

I use the Event Organiser plugin for our website, and am very happy with it. It has an additional posterboard plugin extension that I like, and it allows for both calendar and upcoming event list views.

1 person likes this

Hey Guys, it looks like I joined the 'better calendar' party late. I too was looking for something that had a better calendar. 

For those of you who might like The Events Calendar, they do offer the upgraded plugin for FREE to verified non-profits. The only problem is that in order to import the Google Calendar feed, you had to upgrade the upgrade. In addition to that, it just seemed a bit more highly technical when I was in a hurry to find something that was an easy URL (SF Feature) code paste.

That's when I stumbled upon Time.ly  Although they DO have a plugin that I believe would work fine within the Sharefaith framework without problems, but that's not the route I went. Even though I installed and activated the plugin, I chose instead to create and edit my events calendar via my Time.ly Account login.

This then only requires the embed code. Different types of calendars and displays are available. They have a Posterboard style calendar, a stream calendar and of course the standard displayable calendar (that DOES display all of the text for an event).

One last thing -- below is an individual event page. When a person clicks on an event on the main calendar - it opens up its' own detailed page, and you can even link to event registration pages for tickets. You can get as detailed as you want with links, font styling, etc.  -- Google is just catching up with its' latest update.

If you're looking for a good Calendar -- Time.ly is the one to go with - but that's just my humble opinion.  =0)  

To preview our calendar, go to www.ccelkgrove.org/calendar and to see the different types of calendars available, click the icons at the top left.  Or I've pasted them below.  

Not sure if anyone will read my lengthy comments, but in case they do -- have a blessed day, and may the Lord continue to work through you!

1 person likes this

@rhonda@ccelkgrove.com

Rhonda, I appreciate your post and yes I read every last bit of it - lol! Those are some pretty cool options you posted for calendars. Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts.

God bless.

1 person likes this

LaShaye Floyd - Thanks for the kind words!  I was hoping it would be helpful for someone! Praise God!  Have a blessed Good Friday & Resurrection Sunday!

1 person likes this

@rhonda@ccelkgrove.com

Thanks again Rhonda! Hope you all had a great Easter as well. I downloaded the core All-in-one event calendar.  I'm currently doing some testing with it for our site before we take it live. There are a few nuances I'm still trying to figure out and can't get to work correctly within WordPress itself, but I will let you know how it goes.

God bless!

LaShaye

Answer

LaShaye (anyone else reading this stream), you don't actually have to use the Wordpress plugin. 

1) Go to: www.time.ly and create an account

2) Create your first calendar

3) Use the "Embed Calendar" feature on your new Time.ly page

4) Copy the HTML Code.

5) Go to your Sharefaith webpage

6) Select "Feature"

7) Select Paste HTML, and then save and you're done!

I'm a technical person, and The Events Calendar wasn't what I needed.

If you have more questions on it, let me know. Glad to help!

Hello Rhonda. Thanks for your input regarding the calendar!  Funny you should mention it but I did try this approach about a week ago.

After a few unsuccessful attempts with the plugin I actually had inserted my calendar using the embed code function but noticed a couple issues I was not happy with. I reached out to the support staff at Time.ly and although they responded promptly within 24 hours, they did not have a solution and had no idea of when the issues would be fixed.

Issue 1 - Time increments can only be in 30 minutes. This did not always work for us because we have a recurring meeting (through June) that starts at 6:45pm due to the limitations of the venue we are renting. However, we could Not manually change the time to 6:45 in the Time.ly calendar. We could only choose 6:30 or 7pm.  Unfortunately, someone else is in the room prior to 6:45 and listing it at 7pm would push the whole meeting 15min behind. Putting the correct time in the description just caused confusion because the two times didn't match. We already had booked the room for this recurring meeting months in advance for the next quarter so our meeting time cannot be changed, just to meet the Timely date limitations.

Issue 2 - The calendar made our page crash if a site visitor inadvertently hit the back browser button after they finished viewing the event details in the calendar pop-up. Of course they are supposed to hit the little "x" to close the pop-up - but some people are not used to this or don't even see the little 'x' at the top right corner . It is especially evident viewing on a Mobile device and you simply can't recover the page unless you input the previous page address into the browser again.

Time.ly first responded that they were going to revise the code to increase the size of the X to make it more visible. Then responded again that the developers would work on actually fixing the issue rather than work around it with a patch. The 3rd time they responded that the bug I presented was not as important enough as other bugs and they had no idea when it would be fixed.

By the way, I even tried on your webpage at Elkgrove and it does the same thing: the page crashes if you accidentally hit the back browser button on your cell phone to escape out of the pop-up view. It only works properly if you hit the little x.  I use an Android and the back button is right at the bottom of the page so I can see why some people hit that first rather than scrolling all the way back up past the event image and description looking for the "x".

Google calendar does not have this problem. I can manually change the event time to 15min increments and it does not crash the page - even though it's not as attractive - lol!!

Login or Signup to post a comment