If you would like to see what pages visitors are viewing on your site, where they are visiting from (ie. Google, Twitter, another website, etc.), and what search terms they use to find your site, you’ll want to install an analytics or tracking option to your website.
One common and free option is Google Analytics. In this tutorial, we’ll walk you step-by-step through setting up a Google Analytics account and adding the tracking code to your website. Let’s get started:
- Create a new Google Analytics account if you do not have one. Visit google.com/analytics, click the Access Google Analytics or Create an account button (top right), and follow the on-screen instructions.
Add Google Analytics to Your Website:
Now we can get to the good stuff — adding the Analytics to your website!
- After you are logged into your website, click Advanced
- Click Plugins > Add new.
- Search for Google Analytics:
- Click Install Now for the Google Analytics plugin built by MonsterInsights:
- Click OK when it asks "Are you sure you want to install this plugin?"
- Click Activate Plugin.
- In your control panel click on Analytics > Dashboard:
Click the link to authenticate your Google Analytics profile.
- Click the button that says Authenticate with your Google account
When it prompts, allow MonsterInsights to access your Google Analytics account.
- It will then give you a code that you will need to copy and paste in a box that asks for it.
- Once that's done, select the profile that you want this site to be monitored under.
- Click Save Changes and you're done!
To access your analytics, you can see basic information from the Analytics Dashboard on your site. If you want more in-depth information, you can log into your actual Google Analytics account and view and print reports from there that will show much more detail in tracking information from your site. Please allow 24 hours for Google Analytics to start reporting tracking data.