In this tutorial, we will be covering how to edit or add custom MX records associated with your Sharefaith website.
If you are like most of us, you are probably wondering "What are MX records anyways?" Well, a MX record also known as a mail exchanger record is a type of resource record in your Domain Name System or DNS that specifies the mail server you what responsible for receiving and sending your emails associated with your domain name.
The most commonly used custom MX records are GoDaddy, Microsoft, and Google. You will use these custom MX records when your domain name is registered with Sharefaith, and you want to use another email service.
1. To edit/add custom MX Records, first login to your website hosting control panel at cp.sharefaithwebsites.net
Sidenote: The login for your website hosting control panel is also your Sharefaith Account ID. This will be a 6 digit number typically proceeded by an 's' that would have been emailed to you when you first signed up for a Sharefaith website.
2. After you are logged in, on the left-hand side of the screen, click on domain settings
3. Once you have clicked on Domain settings, it will take you to your domain info screen. On the fifth line, click on the pencil to edit your DNS configuration.
4. The DNS Configuration screen may seem scary at first, don't worry we will walk you through it. To add a new custom MX record, look for the section that says Add DNS MX record.
5. Now adding a DNS MX Record will vary depending on the company you are using for emails. This next step shows how to add one DNS MX Record from Google.
In most cases, the name section can be blank, you will want to change the TTL to 3600 and set the Priority depending on the MX Records itself and the set the Data depending on the MX Record. After you have filled in all of these sections, hit the submit button.
6. After you have added all the appropriate MX Records, you will want to remove your default MX Records. You will want to locate the default records and then hit the red x to remove them.
If at any point during this tutorial you felt a bit overwhelmed, don't worry. Our Sharefaith Member Coaches are here to help you! Simply contact a Sharefaith Member Coach by creating a new support request ticket here.